Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Backward Evaluations

Sunday, I listened to the audio, "Why Is Homosexuality Wrong?" from Truth Community Church's The Bible And Homosexuality conference this past weekend. (Psst, Erin--please put up the rest of the links.) During this second session, Pastor Don Green made a statement that hit at the heart of why I devote so much attention to various issues that have infected 21st Century evangelicals.
We evaluate homosexuality in light of God's Word. We do not judge Scripture by public opinion on homosexuality.
As an increasing number of evangelicals embrace homosexuality and same sex marriage as good things, we see them manipulating God's Word through the lens of worldly values. Sadly, they make similar compromises concerning a wide variety of other issues. So, although I believe I should continue addressing the matter of homosexuality from time to time, I want to zoom out to the larger problem of evangelicals losing their conviction regarding the Bible's authority.

The evangelical church has been influenced by the Charismatic movement, which (despite their  claims to the contrary) routinely interprets Scripture by subjective experience. I can make this accusation because I was a practicing Charismatic for 20 years and I remained in a Charismatic  church for 12 years after that. I spent the next 12 years in a Baptist church, watching it slide into pragmatism and again interpret God's precious Word to fit its seeker sensitive agenda.

Personal friends have defended false teachers like Rick Warren, Joyce Meyer and Beth Moore, not with Scripture, but with comments about the popularity of these teachers and/or how these teachers "helped" them. Like Charismatics, my Baptist friends (in the church we left last year, not our current Baptist church) downplayed a Scriptural evaluation of these teachers in favor of personal opinion.

I hasten to add that a number of these friends, in  both churches, are genuinely saved, as I was during  my years with them. Furthermore, very few people in either church would affirm homosexuality as being acceptable Christian conduct. My point, however, remains that evangelicals generally judge Scripture on the basis of personal experience and/or peer pressure rather than relying on it as the basis for evaluating every area of life.

Dear fellow believers, I implore you to  keep God's Word as your standard for every area of life. Let the following counsel of the apostle Paul, written  mere days before his death, sink deep into your hearts:
14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it 15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. ~~2 Timothy 3:14-17 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...