Friday, June 12, 2015

Where I Conform

My convictions regarding the roles of women, both in marriage and in church structure, stem from studying Scripture. Some verses (such as 1 Timothy 2:15 and 1 Corinthians 11:4-16, as I admitted yesterday, require extra study because in isolation they appear to say that women need to bear children to be saved and wear hats to church in order for God to accept their worship. Both ideas, of course, flatly contradict the Gospel of salvation by faith in the Person and work of Jesus Christ, so we definitely need understanding as to why the Holy Spirit directed Paul to write them.

Aside from these verses, however, the verses on gender roles do not assault the Gospel. For this reason, I see no legitimate reason to tease them out with convoluted explanations. Okay, we don't like the prospect of submitting to our husbands. And yes, we probably could preach just as well as  men...and sometimes better. But our feelings and ambitions mustn't influence our interpretation of God's Word. I don't always like what Scripture says (and there are issues besides male leadership that I'd happily reject), but the Lord expects me to conform my will to His Word rather than the other way around.

Essentially, my convictions about gender roles represent a greater conviction that the Bible, as the very Word of God, speaks with absolute and final authority. Certainly, it clashes violently with  human ideology. Should we expect otherwise? Yet that very struggle to yield to Scripture that opposes our cultural norms gives us opportunity to walk in obedience to our loving Savior as His Word transforms us.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. ~~Romans 12:2  (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...