Tuesday, June 2, 2015

He Can Call Himself Caitlyn, But He's The Same Man

Sorry. Politically correct or not, I absolutely refuse to refer to "Caitlyn" Jenner with female pronouns. He may have legally changed his name and made some cosmetic alterations to his body (and has not ruled out the possibility of total gender reassignment surgery in the future), but he can't totally escape his intrinsic, God-given masculinity.

In their article, What Is Gender Reassignment Surgery? A Medical Assessment With A Biblical Appraisal, Dr. Craig Kline, M.D., and David Schrock (Assistant Editor of the Journal for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood) write:
Complete “gender reassignment,” or the comprehensive transformation of one sex to the opposite, is impossible. Interestingly, this fact was recently echoed in an editorial in The Wall Street Journal written by the former psychiatrist-in-chief at Johns Hopkins Hospital. This important fact needs to be remembered during any discussion of gender reassignment therapies. No treatment may alter the genetic genotype, and sex-linked traits will always be expressed by the native genome. Many sexual characteristics, such as stature, bone  structure, pelvic anatomy, and vocal cord structure (i.e., the deepening of the voice) cannot be reversed with any treatment. Aware of these limitations, physicians treating patients with gender dysphoria seek to bring about limited changes in the bodies of their patients to produce an appearance that is acceptable to them and allows them to more fully integrate their bodily appearance with their desired gender.
It follows, therefore, that Jenner's sex-change is merely a cosmetic and legal illusion. As much as he feels, and now looks, like a 40-year-old woman, his surgery and hormone treatments can't truly eradicate biology. He remains a 65-year-old man who married (and divorced) three women and fathered six children.

Before you write me off as a bigot who uses morality to ignore my responsibility to exercise compassion toward Jenner, please hear me out. I have no doubt that he agonized over his belief that he received the wrong genitalia at birth. His three attempts at marriage more than convince me that he made every effort to accept his  masculinity. During my 12 years of working as a correspondence counselor for an ex-gay ministry, I read a few genuinely heart-wrenching letters from people who struggled with gender dysphoria. So, while I believe gender reassignment surgery openly rebels against the Lord's sovereign wisdom, I don't deny that Jenner must have struggled hard and long before embarking on his journey.

Having stated my feelings of compassion for his unquestionable emotional turmoil, however, I must not allow emotion to override my commitment to Biblical truth. In essence, Jenner has shaken his fist at God, patently accusing Him of giving him the wrong body. Ironically, that very body enabled Jenner to find fame as an Olympic gold medalist in 1976. Had he been born with a female body, would he have achieved the fame and fortune that has allowed him to enjoy fame and fortune?

Sadly, Jenner now lives in complete fantasy, all the while believing he's finally living as his "true" self. Because he  claims to be a Christian, I pray that the Lord will show him that He made no mistake in creating him  as a male.
13For you formed my inward parts;
    you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
    intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
    the days that were formed for me,
    when as yet there was none of them. ~~Psalm 139:13-16 (ESV)

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...