Saturday, June 6, 2015

Duggar's Closet Skeleton, And Why It Makes Me Tremble

Like Josh Duggar, I have skeletons rattling their bones in a few of my closets. The Lord has seen my repentance, just as He has seen Duggar's, and I rest in His forgiveness. Jesus paid for my sin on the cross, I've repented, and those matters don't have to be revisited.

Yet, they could come out if someone wanted to discredit me badly enough. That thought makes me tremble! Although God has most assuredly forgiven me, and although I've repented, Duggar's exposure in the media reminds me that forgiveness doesn't necessarily mean the removal of consequences. So, while I hope I never have to account for sins that Christ has declared absolved, I realize that He could permit someone to uncover them.

As unfair as such exposure would appear, I praise God for this using Duggar's current circumstances to show me the threat of vulnerability in my life. Through it, He has increased my desire to live in holiness from this point forward. Sadly, I can't undo the times that I've rebelled against His clear teaching. But, by the power of His Holy Spirit, I can move forward in resolve to live in a manner that won't dishonor His Name.
13 Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is good? 14 But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, 15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, 16 having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. 17 For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil. ~~1 Peter 3:13-17 (ESV)
In truth, everybody has at least one secret sin. You may have confessed it, repenting in all sincerity, but you live with the horrifying possibility of someone unearthing it. Therefore, if you've taken any delight in Josh Duggar's public humiliation, please think twice about your veneer of self-righteousness. And join me in deciding to go forward in holiness for the Lord's glory.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...