Thursday, June 4, 2015

Because I'm A Girl!

The verse-by-verse Bible teaching I received during my high school years, with its frequent explanation of Greek words and historical background, made me want to be a pastor. In those days, I didn't regard my speech defect as that much of a barrier, and in later years I did teach children's Sunday School with a fair amount of success. I didn't pursue pastoral ministry, however, for one simple reason: Scripture forbids women from teaching men.
I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10 but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. 11 Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14 and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 15 Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control. ~~1 Timothy 2:8-15 (ESV)
Oh, I've studied the arguments in favor of allowing women to preach many times over, and at one point well after college I reconsidered my position on the matter to such a degree that, when our church offered a Saturday morning preaching class, I took it. I couldn't shake 1 Timothy 2:12, however. After earning an A in the class, I became convicted of my disobedience to God's Word and repented.

I tell you all this in order to introduce an article I read last night entitled Gender Moves? In it, Professor Bruce A. Ware of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY explains why Christians must hold to complementarianism in church leadership and marriage roles. Rather than attempt to distill his points, which make a compelling case, I'll leave you to read Gender Moves? for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...