Friday, May 22, 2015

Wanna Hear About John's Deep, Dark Sins?

John embodies many godly qualities, and his commitment to obeying God's Word has made a dramatic impact on my attitudes and behaviors. I hope I grow up to be like him. He has no idea of how the Lord uses him to mold me into a Christian who lives increasingly in purity.

But I live with John. Along with his many virtues, I see his faults. Like everyone else, my husband sometimes falls in to various sins, reminding both of us that even he desperately needs a Savior.

If you're honest, you'll have to admit that my last paragraph aroused your curiosity, and you secretly hope I'll write a nice, juicy expose parading his deep dark sins. Actually, as our culture more and more celebrates "transparency," we come to expect wives to complain about their husbands, adult children to talk about the  mistakes of their parents and workers to gripe about their bosses. And Christians may sincerely believe that, in revealing the "unvarnished truth" about others, they protect themselves from idolizing that person. Or, more accurately, from the appearance of idolizing that person.

I'd rather run the risk of people judging me for idolizing my husband than sin against him and the Lord by disrespecting him. If anything, I need to show greater respect for John, both publicly and privately. Thankfully, John's love for Christ and his pattern of obedience to Scripture provide me with enough raw material to keep me from dwelling on his flaws. After all, I'm too busy owning up to all the ways the Lord needs to deal with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...