Friday, April 3, 2015

No Contribution But His

What could I, a simple housewife whose formal education extends no further than a paltry BA in English Literature, possibly contribute to the conversation concerning Good Friday? Dear readers, you can find good (and bad) sermons on the topic by typing "Good Friday sermons" into your favorite search engine. You don't need my feeble explanations.

Yet, the events of that terrible day, when the Creator of the Universe voluntarily suffered and bled and died to accept the punishment for my sins, changed my life so radically that I can't keep from talking about their effect. Not that Christ's death inspires me to avoid sin (although it does), or that He makes me a "better" person (although He gives me His righteousness). My response to His crucifixion must never take center stage.

Jesus' death accomplished the transformation in my life. Even my ability to trust that His blood atoned for my sin comes as a precious gift from Him!

Paul's letter to the Colossians best explains the power of what Jesus did on that Friday that He took my place on that hideous Roman cross. Read this passage carefully, asking the Holy Spirit if this glorious transaction annuls your debt to the Holy God.
13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14 by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. 15 He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him. ~~Colossians 2:13-15 (ESV)
I know that my debt of sin went far deeper than I could ever begin to imagine. They rendered me dead in this present life, and assured me of eternal damnation upon the Last Judgment. But the Lord, Who rose from the dead, paid my debt as He shed His blood on the cross! He did so much more than inspire me to behave in accordance with His Holy standard; He actually assumed full responsibility for my sin so that He could declare me righteous.

Clearly, I haven't written anything new in observation of Good Friday, since Christians have offered this same testimony for over 2000 years. As a writer, I'd love to bring something new to the conversation. I'd like to offer some innovative insight that would make the topic fresh and intriguing. At the same time, my inability to add to the discussion reminds me that I can also contribute absolutely nothing to Jesus' work on the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...