Saturday, April 18, 2015

More Than My Opinion

A good writer must, above all else, respect words enough to use them accurately. Therefore, it disturbs me to have used the word "opinions" yesterday in reference to the spiritual content of this blog. Even though I well understand my fallibility in grasping and communicating Biblical principles, those principles should never be thought of as merely my opinion.

Our postmodern culture insists that truth depends on personal interpretation. "What's true for you may not be true for me." The only absolute I see in postmodern philosophy is that Bible-believing Christians require silencing. If the culture fails to silence us outright, then it must characterize the Gospel as no more than opinion...and misguided, antiquated opinion at that. Once this characterization establishes itself, people have no difficulty dismissing the Lord and replacing Him with spiritual systems tailored to their own preferences.

Postmodern thought, however, really goes back to the same old humanistic rebellion against the Lord that mankind has perpetrated since Adam and Eve defiantly ate the forbidden fruit. Each of us, unless the Holy Spirit intervenes, trades God's truth for the ideas that we concoct for ourselves.
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.
24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. ~~Romans 1:18-25 (ESV)
Certainly, I hold very strong opinions on a variety of matters ranging from the upcoming presidential election to women covering their heads in church services. And I recognize that such matters are legitimately open to debate. But when it comes to the clear teaching of Scripture, I refuse to regard my fidelity to it as subjective opinion. 

I may misunderstand passages of Scripture here and there. When I do, the last thing I need is for people to indulge my opinion! I need people to correct my error by showing me how my ideas deviate from God's word. Remind me that Scripture must be properly understood and interpreted in context so that I'll correctly discern the Lord's truth and apply His truth in accordance with His will. Don't let me settle for my own meager opinion when I need the  firm foundation of His truth. 

1 comment:

  1. So true, DebbieLynne, no matter how perfect we think the doctrinal position we hold to it still isn't as perfect as God, and His word doesn't contain all that God knows, but it contains all that God in His wisdom knows we need....and even when we get it wrong it still doesn't change what is true, thank God, the foundation is secure because He has given Himself as our sure foundation. His bottom line is that He is sufficient, His grace, we need add nothing to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...