Monday, April 20, 2015

A Matter Of Will

People, and single people in particular, strain and struggle to figure out God's will for their lives. I well remember the last few weeks leading up to my 2001 trip to Boston, during which John and I would decide to either become engaged or curtail our relationship.

At 3:00 in the morning I sat in my driveway with three friends and my mom, ready to drive to San Francisco International Airport.  Before the driver put the key in the ignition, we prayed that the Lord would show me and John His will. Several years earlier, I'd gotten dangerously close to marrying a false convert, and the experience taught me how easily my emotions could cloud my judgment. Additionally, two ladies close to me had just filed for divorce, a third girlfriend confided in me about the multiple problems in her marriage. I really didn't want to make a mistake!

Clearly, I married John 14 months later. Our marriage led me into Reformed theology. I now understand that the Lord sovereignly orchestrated many circumstances to bring me and John together. We needed no further sign. He gave us complete freedom to marry based on our shared love for Him. Looking back, I see the ridiculousness of my striving to discern God's will instead of humbly thanking Him for blessing me with the privilege of marrying such a godly man.

Since marrying John, the Lord has developed my understanding of Scripture. Specifically, I've learned through reading the Old Testament that God's will encompasses ever so much more than the minutia of individual lives. As lovingly as He numbers the hairs on our heads (Luke 2:7), His overarching passion centers on displaying His glory through a people who worship Him. Our redemption benefits us, to be sure, but He gave us salvation for His purposes.
11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, 12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, 13 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. ~~Titus 2:11-14 (ESV)
Rather than scrambling to "hear from God" about whom we should marry or what job we should take, we should search Scripture to learn how we can glorify Him.  As a single, how can you use your freedom from commitment to serve Christ? As John's wife, how can I participate in my marriage so that I glorify Him? Regardless of our marital status, do we live in ways that place the emphasis on Him, or do we clutter our thoughts with demands that He cater to us?

I understand why people want a crystal ball to tell them exactly what God wants for them. But He has adjusted my perspective by convincing me that His greater will deserves much  more attention than the details of my circumstances. If I faithfully respond to those circumstances in ways that reflect His  character, I will have done His will.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome point! It is so easy to get caught up in details when really it boils down to each moment being used to glorify God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome point! It is so easy to get caught up in details when really it boils down to each moment being used to glorify God.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...