Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Christians Mixing Drinks

I'd recently joined the Love In Action staff in May of 1985, so I excitedly launched on a program of reading books on "inner healing." One evening, as I poured over LeAnne Payne's book, The Broken Image (which, just to be clear, I do not recommend), a  close friend and co-worker came by my house to deliver stuff from the office.

Instead of greeting him properly, I looked up from the book and complained, "A bunch of her stuff reminds me of the occult."

Despite writing about her "deep concerns" regarding "Jungian Christianity," LeAnne Payne believed heavily in many Freudian-Jungian models by which people could assess root causes of their homosexuality. Then, through techniques such as listening prayer, they could break free of the psychological forces that kept them in bondage to that sin. She particularly relied on dream interpretation as a tool for psychological healing.

Pop-psychology, merged with the Charismatic theology of mysticism, indeed pulls professing Christians into New Age types of spirituality. Throughout my time in Charismatic circles, I witnessed countless personality tests, spiritual gifts tests and deliverance from demons sessions that blended psychology with mysticism. Invariably, those leading the sessions took Scripture out of context.

Now more mainline denominations also embrace psychology. Not surprisingly, they have   at the same time opened themselves to mystical practices--most notably, listening prayer.

I would suggest that psychology lends itself to New Age influences because Jung engaged in a wide variety of occult experiences, even in his childhood. As a founder of psychotherapy, Jung quite naturally incorporated those elements into his "science." Thus, Bible-believing Christians have a responsibility to reject psychology.
21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. 22 Shall we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than he? ~~1 Corinthians 10:21-22 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...