Tuesday, March 17, 2015

An Open Letter To Elton John

Dear Elton John,

Since my college days (in the mid-70s), I've loved your music. I can remember sitting in the student lounge pretending to read Tennyson's Idylls Of The King when all the time I was actually listening to Crocodile Rock on the radio. I still love that song, which I bought from iTunes a few years ago. In future (depending on my finances), I anticipate purchasing  Rocket Man, Philadelphia Freedom, and your duet with Kiki Dee, Don't Go Breakin' My Heart.

In order for you to fully appreciate my enjoyment of your music, you need to know that I belong to the Lord Jesus Christ. In 1971, He showed me that, by nature and by choice, I was a sinner hurtling toward an eternity in hell. He used a classmate and friend of mine to give me the glorious news that He personally paid the penalty for my rebellion against Him by His death on the cross. Because He rose from the dead, He has given me His power to live in obedience to Him. I therefore buy mostly hymns on iTunes because those beautiful old songs remind me of how gracious He's been to me.

As a Christian, Sir Elton, I believe that the Lord speaks authoritatively, and to every generation and culture, through His unchanging Word, the Bible. You probably know that the Bible declares your homosexual lifestyle as sinful. Despite society's increasing approval of homosexuality, I must stand by Scripture's denouncement of it, trusting the Lord's infinite wisdom.

In standing firm in my convictions regarding your lifestyle, however, I feel free to purchase and enjoy the wonderful music that I fondly associate with my college years. My disagreement with how you live doesn't compel me to boycott the music you produce. In fact, tolerance actually means acceptance in the midst of disagreement, does it not?

For that reason, your boycott of Dolce and Gabbana disappoints me.  I understand, Sir Elton, that their statements in opposition to same sex marriage and invitro fertilization trouble you in much the same way that your desire to punish those of us who speak against homosexuality troubles me. Yet disagreement with this company's moral convictions shouldn't lead to your intolerant attempt to cripple their business.

When I buy your music, I don't condone homosexuality. I tolerate that aspect of who you are because I love your product and delight in what you can do with a piano. Can't you appreciate their  line of clothing regardless of their personal opinions? Shouldn't tolerance go both ways?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...