Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Although Bunnies Distract

Snow still covers the ground and the temperature has just climbed to 37 degrees, yet this coming Sunday Christians and professing Christians will observe Palm Sunday. A week later (obviously), we will celebrate Christ's glorious resurrection.


Many people, of course, will distract themselves from the Gospel message by focusing on chocolate bunnies, colored eggs and ham dinners. Most will make obligatory trips to church, and perhaps some may come away with vague feelings of inspiration. A few, praise God, will genuinely understand the Gospel message that Jesus died in their place to atone for their sin and rose three days later so that He could give eternal life to those who trust in Him.

Christians commemorate the Lord's death, burial and resurrection throughout the year, recognizing them as so much more than the ushering in of spring. The apostle Paul identified these three events as the very core of the Gospel!
Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me. ~~1 Corinthians 15:1-8 (ESV)
We underestimate the absolute centrality of the death, burial and resurrection, undoubtedly because most pulpiteers litter their sermons with mysticism and psychological jargon. They give the Gospel honorable mention before rushing on to more "relevant" subject matter.

Yet how could anything possibly be more relevant than Jesus dying for our sin and rising again? I base my very life on the events of Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday, clinging to them as my source hope. Certainly, I enjoy fluffy white bunnies and baskets of dyed eggs. But I find sustenance in the heart of the Gospel.

4 comments:

  1. I know some can be very strict about bunnies etc because of pagan roots...I'm reading through 1st and 2nd Kings, this time I'm stuck by the fact that Solomon had the pagan "high places" yet that didn't get him in trouble with God, but when he began marrying the pagan worshippers he crossed a line where he fell out of God's favor. I know it wasn't good that He didn't destroy those pagan alters, Solomon even used them to sacrifice to the true God of Israel, that goggles my mind, but I think it must have weakened him to later fully cross that line, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should say "this time I'm struck" not stuck...

      Delete
  2. I'm not opposed to the Easter Bunny in proper perspective, and that really wasn't my main point. Ham dinners and new dresses can be just as distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Propitiation." My favorite word and my favorite time of year to remember it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...