Monday, February 9, 2015

Relentless Trials And Abundant Grace

Yesterday I wrote one of the best opening sentences ever...and promptly forgot the main purpose I'd had in writing it. Still can't remember. Today, my brain chokes from snow fatigue, Personal Care Attendant problems, and a frustrating conversation with someone. Sadly, I don't feel very Christian at this point.

Thankfully, my position as God's child has nothing to do with how spiritual I feel. While the  Lord would like me to adopt a more trusting attitude amid my trials, He won't rescind my salvation just because I displease Him at the moment. In fact, His faithfulness to correct my self-pitying attitude gives me assurance that He indeed regards me as a legitimate daughter.
It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. 11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. ~~Hebrews 12:7-11 (ESV)
Even beyond the wonderful fact that God accepts me as His daughter, His acceptance of me comes on the basis of Jesus' death on the cross. Certainly, He desires that I repent of my dismal attitude so that I'll better reflect His nature, but He judges me through Jesus. 
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. ~~2 Corinthans 5:21 (ESV)
So yes, I need to align my attitude with His holy standards. But in my many failures to trust His faithfulness, reflect His grace toward argumentative people and praise Him for His goodness, I rest in what Jesus has done on my behalf. In spite of all that upsets me on this relentlessly snowy day, I can rejoice in Him.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...