Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Let's Confront Me First

Those who know me well, sadly, would hardly choose the word "gentle" to describe me, and they'd use the word "humble" even less. To my shame, I'd have to agree that neither adjective suits me. My lack of these character qualities obviously grieves me, first and foremost, because I dishonor the Lord by my aggression and pride. Additionally, they challenge me in regard to correcting others when they sin.

The Holy Spirit inspired the apostle Paul to write:

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. ~~Galatians 6:1 (ESV)
Certainly, Paul makes the point here that, while we do have the responsibility to confront sin in one another, the Lord wants us to do so gently and in an attitude of humility. We can so easily fall into the same sin that we've just reproved somebody else for committing, and our hypocrisy will betray our haughtiness. We forget that God has shown us tremendous grace and, consequently, that He desires us to extend similar grace to others.

I suppose I could belabor this thought by appealing to other Scriptures that supply confirmation, but I don't see a need for  doing so. I see that the Lord calls me to repent of self-righteous attitudes and behaviors, and I'm directing this post to myself with the expectation that publicly acknowledging my sin in this area might increase my sense of accountability.

Yesterday I wrote about the duty to correct those who sin, and I stand by everything I  wrote. I plan future posts on that duty. But this caveat needs stating, if only to remind myself of how the Lord wants me  to humble my heart before Him. He has been wonderfully gentle and gracious in dealing with the myriad of sins in my life. How, then, can I justify any pride even as I address sin in others?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this honest post. I am encouraged to be more gentle w my children after reading this. It is hard sometimes, being their authority and teacher, to be gentle w them and to remember that I am a worse sinner than them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to sign off. Thanks, Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...