Monday, February 2, 2015

Augustine On Twitter And Discernment Blogs

I glean many blog post ideas from Facebook and Twitter. This morning, for example, I came across this interesting quote attributed to Augustine:

I'd never considered that exact perspective, even though many Scriptures direct us to confront sin in each other. The Lord Himself even provided us with step-by-step instructions on how to deal with an erring brother (or sister) within the context of a local church.
15 “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18 Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 19 Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” ~~Matthew 18:15-20 (ESV)
The apostle Paul gave different (though not contradictory) directions to Timothy in regard to those who sin in defiance.
As for those who persist in sin, rebuke them in the presence of all, so that the rest may stand in fear. ~~1 Timothy 5:20 (ESV)
Yes, I understand that Paul specifically  gave this counsel to Timothy as part of a letter dealing with Timothy's duties as the pastor of the church at Ephesus, and I don't want to take it out of context. At the same time, I've seen many discernment bloggers apply this verse when they (dare I include myself in their company by saying "we?") call out public figures like Beth Moore and Rick Warren (among others) for their sin of false teaching. Such bloggers also boldly address popular, but sinful, trends like Holy Yoga and  the Gay Christian Movement. If they (we) misapply this verse, may the Lord both correct us and give us the humility to receive correction with repentant attitudes.

Since some of the elders from my church read my blog, and one of them thanked me just last week for challenging false converts, I tend to think that I haven't violated the parameters of Scripture. I trust that my church's leadership would tell me if something I wrote crossed a line. Thus, I believe I have applied 1 Timothy 5:20 in an appropriate manner.

Many current teachings and trends in the 21st Century church need to be rebuked. Augustine of Hippo would, I believe, support bloggers who risk unpopularity and suffered ridicule in order to correct those who sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...