Friday, January 16, 2015

Cozy Girl Talk With Beth And Joyce--Part III

At the conclusion of the televised chat between Beth Moore and Joyce Meyer on Meyer's Enjoying Everyday Life (whew--I finally got the name right!) broadcast, Moore calls Meyer "a mighty, mighty woman of God." Yesterday, however, I blogged about one of Meyer's most well-known doctrinal errors and provided a link to CARM's article documenting her other departures from orthodox Christian doctrine. Clearly, Joyce Meyer, far from being a "woman of God," shows herself to be a false teacher.

So does Meyer's status as a heretic necessarily make Beth Moore a false teacher for appearing on her broadcast? Not exactly. The difficulty comes from Moore's affirmation of Meyer as "a mighty, mighty woman of God." Moore based her assessment, not on Meyer's character or teaching (both women admitted in the video that they didn't know each other very well yet), but on her tour of the Joyce Meyer's Ministries facility. Moore implied that the largeness of the ministry demonstrated God's favor.

(Didn't the First Century Pharisees equate wealth and success with God's favor?)

At best, Moore's pronouncement that Meyer is "a mighty, mighty woman of God" betrays Moore's lack of  discernment. When you consider the shallow criteria for making such a declaration, you should be asking where else Moore makes shallow judgments. How carefully, for example, does she really study God's Word? Can you trust her fidelity to Scripture when she  confers such confidence on a blatant false teacher? According to the apostle John, by blessing Meyer, Moore participates in her sin.
For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist. Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward. Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, 11 for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works. ~~2 John 7-11 (ESV)
Zero in on verses 10-11. If you'll remember my blog post Wednesday, you'll also recall that Beth  Moore's very purpose for appearing on Enjoying Everyday Life focused on promoting "unity" that ignores doctrine. She likewise completely ignored Joyce Meyer's very erroneous doctrine, some of which borders on blasphemy, to call her "a mighty, mighty woman of God" solely because of Meyer's material success. Not only does Moore make an assessment from a faulty criteria, but she joins herself to a known heretic.

The young pastor's wife who confronted Beth Moore on Twitter recently expressed concern that Moore has aligned herself with Meyer, as well as with other well-known false teachers. I agree with her concerns. For all their talk of "unity," these people shred the Body of Christ by ripping away the foundational doctrines that hold His Church together. I've written this series because pure doctrine separates Christians from the lies of false teachers and draws us to the real Jesus.

3 comments:

  1. Great job! Thanks so much for covering this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago I was an avid Joyce Meyer fan. I watched her at least once a day, read her books, and bought her DVDs and CDs. That was when her show was called Life in the Word, and I have to admit that her teaching did drive me deeper into God's word. Then...she changed the show's name to Enjoying Everyday Life, and by that time I had grown spiritually and had enough discernment to be uncomfortable with that. I saw it as a shift in focus from God's word to self. Although I can't put my finger on it, I began to lose interest in her. I am not sure whether I sensed a weakening in her teaching or whether I had grown to the point where I didn't need what she had to offer. I mean, I never had a conscious 'awakening' where I saw her as a false teacher. In fact, the first few times I read that, I got defensive because I still thought she was solid. But then I began to see the heresy and ear-tickling in her teaching and no longer can watch or endorse her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shallow is a very good description. In Ecclesiastes the writer uses the word"vanity" (emptiness: which gives me the mental picture of something so beautiful on the outside yet completely empty on the inside; therefore it also gives that image of shallowness, nothing inside or supporting it).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...