Saturday, January 24, 2015

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To This Blog Post

When I woke up this morning, I knew I wanted to address the issue of false conversion. But I planned to approach it by examining my own spiritual history and analyzing whether or not my affiliations in a Charismatic church and a seeker sensitive church necessarily made me a false convert. Maybe my personal story might have interested some people and disappointed others as I challenged the notion that receiving faulty teaching automatically disallows genuine salvation, but just a few hours ago I realized my self-serving motives for wanting to tell my own story.

Yes, it's my party and I can cry if I want to. Or more accurately, it's my blog and I can navel-gaze if I want to. Except that I belong to the Lord Jesus Christ, so therefore He has authority over what I write and how I write it. In 2006, I started this as a "vanity blog," admittedly, but the Lord has changed its direction and has made it more about Him than about me.

The topic of false conversion demands attention, certainly, and I will indeed devote some posts to it. Many evangelicals honestly believe they know Christ and adhere to the Bible when they really have adopted a form of "Christianity" that follows worldly philosophies...and sometimes devilish ones. Such people often sincerely desire to live in obedience to Christ and to enjoy His salvation, but they embrace teachings and practices that  contradict the Gospel. Some are, in spite of faulty theology, genuinely saved. Most are not.

As I explore this problem of counterfeit Christianity, I don't see much benefit in trying to figure out exactly when the Holy Spirit regenerated me. I believe He did it when I always claimed He did, but I know that I spent decades struggling with doctrines that encouraged me to think I participated in my conversion. In truth, Jesus saved me at some point, but the particulars simply don't matter. As long as He receives all the glory for taking my sin upon Himself and cleansing me with His blood, I rejoice. And if He can use my posts to liberate others from false conversion into the new birth, I'll praise His wonderful Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...