Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Thoughts Resulting From A Song

Christmas hymns can jump-start my brain, getting me to think through (or, more honestly, attempt to think though) the implications of God coming as a Baby. Songs like Mary, Did You Know can start me on endless mental journeys as I try to imagine the One Who created vast galaxies as an embryo in the womb of a young girl.

The practicalities of the Incarnation raise amazing questions. How could Mary and Joseph teach the Word of God (John 1:1-14) how to speak? How does a young couple raise God? Did  Jesus attend Hebrew School already knowing the Torah, and did He work to memorize the Psalms with His brothers? When He ate the Passover lamb each year, did He anticipate that Good Friday afternoon when He would suffer and die as the Lamb of God Who would take away the sins of the world (John 1:35-36)? And the questions multiply, alternately intriguing me and frustrating me with the complexities of Jehovah, the very Sustainer of all creation (Colossians 1:17), depending on His mother for His basic needs.

If I allow such thoughts too much free reign, they degenerate into the type of foolish speculation that the apostle Paul warned Timothy to avoid (1 Timothy 1:3-5). Such an over-dependence on human reasoning leads to the type of pride that undermines faith. Sometimes we can forget that, as mere creatures, we can't begin to think as deeply and broadly as God does (Isaiah 55:8-9), and we need to repent of such arrogance.

Having recognized the need to remain humble, we  can reflect on questions such as those I posed earlier as springboards to worship. Each time I think about the Almighty God wrapped in swaddling clothes like any other Jewish baby of that time, my heart trembles with awe. The One Who has true power, much greater than any earthquake, tornado or hurricane, became a helpless Infant. And He came to die for us, so that, in rising from the dead, He would quell the power of sin. These thoughts of Him fill me with the true wonder of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...