Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Prayers From Ancient Lips

A month or so ago, our pastor preached a two-part sermon called Prayer Worthy Of An Apostle, which he based on Colossians 1:9-11:
And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, 10 so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. 11 May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, (ESV)
The Lord has used that sermon to change the way I pray for people. Fewer of my prayers center on temporal matters as I concentrate more on asking the Lord to help people grow  in spiritual knowledge that they can apply to their lives. 

After nearly 44 years of being influenced by a "consumer" approach to the Lord, I realize that He is less concerned with adjusting our circumstances than He is with building godly character. I know I easily attest to His priorities now, when much of my life goes relatively according to my wishes. But I hope people pray the same things for me that I now pray for them. As much as my flesh still wants God to do my bidding, I see how that attitude perverts my relationship with Him by mistaking Him for the servant that He calls me to be.


If you pray for me, please ask the Lord to increase my understanding of Scripture so that I will grow in discernment. Further, please pray that I will apply what He teaches me in His Word so that I can please Him. Such prayers won't necessarily make me comfortable, but they will go a long way in helping me serve Him effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...