Saturday, December 20, 2014

"Christmasy" Feelings

My PCA decorated our Christmas tree at my direction last night. I had hoped getting the tree up and playing Christmas hymns would make me feel more  "Christmasy," but I don't think it has.

I got most things done earlier than usual this year, which surprises me because I come from a family notorious for procrastination. Every Christmas Eve, Mom banned me from the dining room while she feverishly wrapped way too many presents for me, all the while complaining that December 24th had snuck up on her quite unexpectedly. Perhaps I've "reversed the curse." At any rate, only a few small tasks remain, and I feel very confident that even those will be completed in plenty of time.

I've already blogged a few times about the Incarnation. That astounding doctrine, of course, constitutes the  very heart of Christmas, though few people really grasp it.  They have a vague idea that Christmas celebrates the birth of God's Son, but they have difficulty making the connection that Jesus is God the Son Who came to die for our sins.
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. ~~Philippians 2:5-11 (ESV)
As I age, the wonder of God becoming flesh and dwelling among us eclipses the excitement of wreaths, trees and presents. Perhaps my lack of "feeling Christmasy" actually means that I feel less excited about the secular aspects of Christmas because the true significance of the holiday captures my attention. Or could it possibly be that I find myself enjoying the Christmas spirit more deeply than ever?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...