Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Shock Value, Beth Moore and The Gospel

I remember being a teenager and sighing impatiently any time an adult attempted to explain anything to me. I'd roll my eyes and whine insistently, "I already know that!" I saw no need to reiterate basics.

Since I started this series on the Gospel and its doctrines, my readership has declined. I can almost hear people sigh, "Boring!" And I understand that most of my readers, because you self-identify as Christians, may very well feel like you really don't need any more explanations of Christ's crucifixion and resurrection.

Perhaps you'd prefer narrations of my conflicts with people who unintentionally treat me as if I'm mentally disabled, so you can fill my comments section with discourses on my unbecoming responses. Those posts seem to draw the highest volume of hits. And yes, such posts appeal to the human interest in juicy gossip. But I no longer believe such diatribes belong in this blog...or anywhere else online.

Fair enough, you say, but why not continue blogging about false teachers like Rick Warren and Beth Moore? Many of you gravitated to those posts! Well, rest assured that, when appropriate, I have every intention of calling them out. Furthermore, I fully intend to blog about Holy Yoga, contemporary Christian music, Gay Christians and several other topics that infect the 21st Century church. Such topics grieve me, and I desire to help others understand how those people and trends subtly undermine sound doctrine.

Writing about the various assaults on doctrine from within the church, however, necessitates that we continually review doctrinal basics. Beth Moore, in  her recent televised conversation with Joyce Meyer, made this comment:
"We love the same Jesus. We love the same scriptures. ... Even if we did not have that in common, if we could say our salvation is found in Christ if He died and rose again and how to be saved and Jesus sits at right hand of God, then that is my sister, my brother.”
Friends, people like Beth Moore blatantly  resist Scripture's many commands to separate from those who hold to false gospels! Catholics, for example, attest to Christ's death and resurrection, but their official church doctrine (as I've shown in recent posts) teaches that human participation merits God's grace. Similarly, Mormons profess to believe in Christ's death and resurrection, but they deny His deity. Biblical Christians must not unite with those who hold false teaching.
Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward. Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, 11 for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works. ~~2 John 8-10 (ESV)
In order to distinguish doctrinal aberrations, we need to maintain an accurate understanding of what the Bible teaches. And in particular, we absolutely must be clear on what constitutes the true Gospel. Consequently, I believe the series I've just finished has great importance. Please reconsider giving attention to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...