Thursday, November 6, 2014

End Times Or Not, It's Time

The world spirals more and more into chaos. Although Christians in every generation have believed Jesus would return in their lifetimes, current events suggest to me that He may come within the next few decades. Don't interpret that statement as a prophecy, however. I claim neither prophetic powers nor a clear understanding of eschatology.

Having made my disclaimer, permit me to make my main point. Regardless of whether the Lord returns before I publish this post or comes 2000 years from now, I see an urgency for Christians to proclaim the Gospel! Yes, I believe the Bible teaches the doctrine of election, but I also believe the Holy Spirit chooses to bring those He elects to salvation through the faithful proclamation of His Word (Romans 10:14-17). Furthermore, I believe hearing God's Word confirms the non-Christian's guilt before God, rendering  him or her incapable of charging God with injustice (Romans 9:14-33). In either case, the Lord emphatically declares that His Word will accomplish His purposes (Isaiah 55:10-11).

At this point in my life, I no longer hold myself responsible for convincing people to believe the Gospel. I pray, certainly, and I proclaim the Gospel, but then I trust the Lord with the results. The urgency I sense has little to do with muscling people into the kingdom and everything to do with being faithful to the Lord.

These may indeed be the last of the last days. I sincerely hope so. But if the Lord plans to wait a few millennia more before His triumphal return, it still holds true that we live in extremely troubling times. Sadly, many people who profess to be Christians have fallen into doctrinal error, sinful behaviors or both to such a degree that they also need the Gospel. Therefore, we must never lay it aside or allow "Christian" fads to obscure it. We must declare it boldly, prayerfully, and with assurance that the Holy Spirit will use it to bring salvation to His elect.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. ~~Romans 1:16 (ESV)

1 comment:

  1. You sum up my thoughts about this exactly :) There is so much we do not know, we try to fit the truth into tidy and relatively speaking tiny boxes. We tend to think either/or, but God isn't limited by how we think or feel. I too am of the Reform persuasion, and by no means a synergist.........however.........it still is a mystery how He does what He does, and that He chooses to let us be a part of His miraculous works in some way that only He knows of....it is mind boggling, but not for Him! And it truly is all about Him and for Him! Amen!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...