Saturday, November 8, 2014

"Creating" My Creator

Traditionally, I start writing our annual Christmas newsletter a day or two after Thanksgiving, at which time I generally realize (with appropriate horror and self-recrimination) that I haven't used the 335 (more or less) days between New Year's Day and Thanksgiving to create a graphic. Mind you, I now own three digital art software programs, one of which I use with relative proficiency. I really could begin drawing my newsletter graphic considerably earlier than the day before Thanksgiving.

This past Wednesday morning, I woke up thinking about how I could write this year's newsletter in a manner that would diplomatically explain why we changed churches. Suddenly, I realized that, unless I wanted to recycle the same old Bethlehem "skyline" that I've been using for the past few years, I'd better start drawing! So, in the past few days, I've come up with a rendition of the Baby Jesus:

Okay, Rembrandt I'm not. In fact, the act of trying to draw the Lord humbled me. I kept wondering how I, with my limited skills and cartoonish style of drawing, dared to attempt a drawing purporting to create my Creator. The very thought of drawing the  One Who formed the heavens and the earth, as well as forming me in my mother's womb, filled me with a desire to represent Him well.  My glaring imperfections remind me of His absolute perfection. As I drew, I thought about John 1:1-3.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. (ESV)
May He look past my immature lines and  clumsy imperfections to see my worship and awe of Him. And may my illustration, even with its flaws and childishness, help those who receive my newsletter to think about the amazing message of Christmas. The real infant in the manger both created us and, through His death on the cross, created the way for us to be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...