Saturday, November 29, 2014

Christmas Newsletters As Farming Tools

Traditionally, I type our annual Christmas Newsletter the day after Thanksgiving. So yesterday, although I longed to blog, I spent pretty much all day formatting the photo of me and John (including drawing a wreath frame that I later found out I didn't need to draw) and then composing the two-page recap of our year.

In 36 years, I've produced 33 such Christmas Newsletters (or 32, depending on how you categorize the one that ended up being a Valentine's Day Newsletter). As I mentioned, these letters typically chronicle our past year, ending with a brief synopsis of the Gospel. I pray that the Lord  might plant seeds through each year's letter that will result in someone coming to faith in Jesus Christ. As far as I know, that hasn't  happened yet.

I don't believe God has gifted me in the area of evangelism. I do believe, however, that He expects every Christian, whether they possess the gift of evangelism or not, to proclaim the Gospel as often as possible. People like me, who see little effect of our evangelistic efforts, can find peace in remembering that we must merely be faithful and obedient to state the truth. The Holy Spirit accepts full responsibility and glory for the results.
So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor. ~~1 Corinthians 3:7-8 (ESV)
So, though I finally accept my complete inability to bring anyone to salvation, I recognize that the Lord requires me to use my writing skills to make His Gospel known. Christmas provides such a natural opportunity for telling people the Gospel, so I want to take advantage of it. I pray that the Lord will use  my annual newsletter to plant seeds of truth in the hearts of those He's chosen for salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...