Tuesday, October 21, 2014

I Don't Like iit!

Most people dislike the doctrine of human sinfulness. Guess what! I dislike it too! I particularly dislike applying it to myself, just as I suspect, dear reader, that you dislike applying it to yourself. The very idea that human beings can't claim goodness, and therefore hope to justify themselves before God, deeply offends us. Its repugnance causes most people to either revise the Gospel into something more palatable or reject Christianty altogether.

I understand those responses ever so much more than regular readers might suppose, and much prefer to see myself as someone capable of meriting my own salvation. Please don't confront me with my sin; I really would prefer not to see it. And while we're being honest, on most days my sinful nature would rather skip personal Bible Study because I don't like how the Holy Spirit uses His Word to expose the rottenness of my heart.

God, however, won't adjust His holy standards simply because I don't like them. Nor will He ignore my inherent sinfulness in the interest of my self-esteem. Through His Word, He regularly exposes all my thoughts, attitudes and behaviors that violate His commands and reinforce my need for a Savior.

Please take the time to click this link to Scriptures on man's sinful nature. No, it's not fun reading, but we need to see and accept the Lord's assessment of us in order to embrace the Gospel message that we needed Christ to die for our sins. As much as we yearn to see ourselves as "basically good people," we must humble ourselves and acknowledge the Lord's authority to call us sinners.
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. ~~1 John 1:8-10 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...