Friday, August 15, 2014

Railroads And Mouth Blisters--A Different Boston Adventure

This summer, we've had several trips into Boston, and even one into Harvard, which all refreshed us. Few, however, gave me much fodder for blog posts, so I left those Adventures largely unreported, unwilling to resemble a 5th grader writing on "What I Did This Summer." Most of you will thank me (fans of Beth Moore and Rick Warren will undoubtedly wish I had written more about our excursions).

Our Boston Adventure yesterday, however, definitely merits attention. Although we got off the  subway at South Station expecting little more than to buy peaches at the farmers market at Dewey Square followed by lunch at either Quincy Market or B.Good, those lack-luster plans changed when John spotted a sign advertizing a free guided tour of South Station. I'd been wanting to take one of those tours for a few years, so he didn't have to twist my arm!
On December 30, 1898, Boston mayor Josiah Quincy III dedicated South Station. Two days later (New Year's Day, 1899), trains began running on the 27 above-ground and 5 underground tracks. Today, only 13 tracks remain.


The building's neo-classical fascade, built of pink granite from Connecticut, peaks at 100 feet.The Elevated Railway that once ran between it and Dewey Square ceased as a result of The Great Molasses Flood of 1919.

In the 1970s, various factors led to plans for demolishing the building in favor of erecting something more "updated." Thankfully, the people of Boston raised enough of a protest that, in 1975, the National Registry of Historic Sites listed it, giving it protection.

The tour continued, with stories of the bowling alley and movie theater once housed in the   building before it was truncated, World War I inductees learning that the war had ended upon their arrival at the station and John adding that his grandfather had been the engineer on the last steam engine to pull out of Boston 1953. I could show you more pictures of the tour, but then why would you take it?

Besides, I still need to tell you about our lunch at  Rosa Mexicano in the Seaport district. Again, I'd been wanting to try the restaurant for quite some time because the Greater  Boston Area has a notable lack of Mexican food.

We had a very personable waiter, Gregory, who loved the fact that I've been coaxing John off his bland New England diet by introducing him to the flavors of Mexico. He decided to have some fun with John by having him try  various salsas ranging from mild to mouth-blistering. The following pictures tell the story:
Mild
Getting Hot
Really Hot     

Very Hot
Mouth Blister Hot
Had we not taken the tour of South Station, we most likely would have eaten at B.Good...as usual. But as much as we like B.Good, both of yesterday's Adventures delighted us! We arrived back at South Station too late for our customary Pinkberry Frozen Yogurt, but three of our "train buddies" were on our Commuter Rail car home. Come to think of it, we'd never before ridden with all three!

2 comments:

  1. Cute post! Making me hungry for some Mexican! Thanks for sharing. :)

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice outing! Ken and I love going on day trips in our area. One day we drove through Petrolia Ontario. The Victorian homes and quaint shops had me thinking that I'm going to return solo so I can take my time exploring this town a bit more at a more leisurely pace. There is also a live theater in Petrolia that we want to try out. We've gone to the one in Ken's hometown and loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...