Monday, July 21, 2014

Transformed Tastebuds

In the past few years, John and I have been eating more fruits and vegetables, and simultaneously less processed foods. I  can't remember the last time we bought a frozen dinner. Having grown up eating   convenience foods and drinking anything  carbonated, I took little interest in proper nutrition until I began having health issues that spurred my doctor to impose dietary restrictions on me. John's heart attack and cancer have inspired us to further modifications, such as hardly ever eating red meat.

We went to the local supermarket today, and I found myself excited by a  sale on Haas avocados and heartbroken that the peaches (that looked so beautiful) felt like the type that rot before they have a chance to ripen. But also, the frozen dinners and snack cakes that I used to crave held very little appeal, especially in comparison to my desire for fresh peaches. And I silently laughed, amused by my gastronomical transformation.

What a metaphor for the way feeding on God's Word transforms a Christian's appetite. The junk of the world becomes less and less appetizing as we acquire a taste for Jesus and the holiness that  accompanies knowing Him.

 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!
    Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints,
    for those who fear him have no lack!
10 The young lions suffer want and hunger;
    but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing. ~~Psalm 34:8-10 (ESV)

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...