Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Missing Videos

For quite some time, E. Benz of Do Not Be Surprised and Ken Silva of Apprising Ministries have been blogging about their concerns over Beth Moore's claims that God speaks directly to her (even addressing her as "Honey" or "Baby"). Lately, I've found more assessment of Ms. Moore's "prophetic ministry" on Elizabeth Prata's The End Time blog, this time based on Ms. Prata's first-hand experiences. Each of these bloggers carefully documented their critiques of Ms. Moore's teachings with videos.

These videos provided enormous help in evaluating Beth Moore's ministry. Most of her videos on YouTube, while they certainly show that Moore's teaching centers mostly on what Jesus does for us rather than on Who He is, take Scripture out of context so subtly that most people believe she shows good Biblical scholarship. Indeed, she knows Greek words enough to appear as educated as any seminary graduate.

Yet the claims she makes of prophetic revelations cause great alarm to those of us who believe in the sufficiency of Scripture. To properly evaluate her ministry, therefore, it helps to understand that her theology allows for revelation beyond the written Word of  God. E. Benz, Ken Silva and Elizabeth Prata all posted videos that substantiate  Beth Moore's assertions of extra-biblical revelation. I've watched several of the videos, and saw from them that Ms. Moore teaches false doctrine by her claims of direct revelation.

As I searched YouTube this past week, all the videos in which Beth Moore recounted her "conversations with God" had vanished. So I consulted Do Not Be Surprised and The End Time. When I clicked the videos embedded in their blog posts, I got messages that those videos were either "private" or "not available." Thankfully, Ken Silva had downloaded them to reformat them for his blog, so we still have them.

The four of us have no wish to assault Beth Moore's character, nor may we pass ultimate judgment on her salvation. But, like the Bereans in Acts 17:10-11, we examine her teaching, ministry and conduct against Scripture. The missing videos troubled us. Their disappearance troubles us even more.

4 comments:

  1. Beth Moore has a huge "ministry" with a huge support system, and also a large fan base. Beth's website is "all about Beth", you'll be hard pressed to find Jesus given much of anything there...even trying to find the name of Jesus is a challenge. You'll find it if you search long and hard enough, but you'll find Beth's name in bold letters emblazoned everywhere.

    I had some doubts about her teachings and mentioned some of the things I found wrong with her teachings on a Christian forum. The resulting outcry against me was deafening. The main accusation against me for saying anything about their dear Beth was that I was a "tale-bearer" and "gossip" (which I found out is the standard way she deals with her critics.

    I had found a post from a few years ago Christmas time that talked about the metaphysical aspect of Jesus incarnation that sounded spooky and very new age, don't know if it is still in the archival portion of her website somewhere, it's been a long time since I've wasted time at her website. I pray that she and all false teachers are exposed soon (we know they eventually will be) for their self-promoting making merchandise of Jesus ventures. I find it sickening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might also like this from Matt Slick, I personally believe he is being generous with her and yet he does touch on many of the problems:

    http://carm.org/beth-moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've read Matt Slick's article. But the videos would certainly provide more convincing documentation.

      Delete
  3. Greetings, Susan o'Headstick- I'm doing some research for my church which has (literally) bought into a fall video presentation from BM's organization before really understanding what they've done. I've had quite a tour when one considers yourself, Elizabeth, some guy on something called Pirate Radio and reams and reams of comments.

    I find myself fairly warned off BM for many of the reasons generated by these doctrinally vigilant writers but also a little confused and somewhat disturbed by the some aspects of their presentation that seem, well, bordering on hysterical. Is there such a thing as 'Beth Moore Derangement Syndrome'?

    Accusing BM of legalism and finding examples of where she waxes legalistic seems to be a common occurrence. I understand legalism in the specific terms Paul uses to warn the Galatians not to fall back into OT worship and thought patterns. I also understand legalism in more general terms as any tendency to think there exists some method, practice or means (usually declared mandatory by someone in large and in charge) by which one can gain salvation apart from God's grace and faith in His Son's sacrifice.

    When I listen to BM's critics in the area of legalism, however, I get confused by the context of their writings. 'Legalism' rises its head everywhere!! It seems that any, virtually any, reference by BM to something she declares that Christians 'need' to do or any mention by her of the word 'obedience' in connection with some aspect of God's Word is enough to generate spasms of agonized accusations that she's being 'legalistic.'

    As a Christian, I do feel there are behaviors and attitudes both the Bible and my Lord would want me to embrace as 'needful' for the living out of a properly ordered Christian life. There actually exist commandments from Jesus and from Paul which I would, again, as an already saved Christian, want to obey and would welcome being encouraged to, in fact, obey.

    Please guide me to understanding the degree to which, in the eyes of BM's critics, I, too, flirt with legalism in writing the previous paragraph.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...