Sunday, June 1, 2014

Rich Doctrine, Great Music

I love the rich content of the old hymns. Those who read this little purple blog with any degree of regularity know this fact about me, and probably find it amusing that I'd bother to make such an obvious statement. But some things bear repeating. So I don't mind saying numerous times that I love old hymns, and love them because of their theological content. When those hymns reinforce the great doctrines of Scripture, and particularly the doctrine of salvation through the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, I get really excited!

Yet, having been saved through the Jesus Movement in 1971, I confess my taste for updated music. Up until the last eight or nine years, I preferred  contemporary praise songs, overlooking the weak (and sometimes erroneous) doctrine in favor of an updated style. Worship does, after all,  involve emotions, and the newer music does engage my emotions more profoundly than hymn music does.

So I like the way Indelible Grace has updated Charles Wesley's hymn, "Arise, My Soul, Arise" which celebrates the wonderful doctrine of justification. I hope you'll enjoy the music as much as I do. But please let the words of man's humility and God's magnificent provision of forgiveness and redemption be your main focus. May these words increase your adoration of Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...