Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Disturbances and Philosophical Progress

People who  know me well also know that I handle adversity very poorly. Being self-centered, I grumble at minor irritations and express unbridled outrage at major calamities. My world, in my not-so-humble opinion, must never be disturbed.

Yet the Lord continues to allow disturbances, both great and small, to punctuate  my life. In my younger years, I regarded these disturbances as interruptions to "real life,"  but I've since accepted the fact that real life consists of  both delights and disasters. So, there's some philosophical progress.

As years passed, I eventually got to the place at which I could even agree theoretically with Romans 8:28--

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.  (ESV)
Of course, I much prefer quoting that particular verse in hindsight than I do during a trial. But when people (with all the sensitivity of Job's comforters) mention it when I feel flattened by life's struggles, I agree very grudgingly. Inwardly, I wonder why He has to work unpleasant, and even painful, things for my good and His purpose.

Now, far too many years after I should have understood that Jesus saved me for His sake rather than my own, I've started to understand that disruptions and sufferings give me opportunities to represent Christ. People watch my responses to circumstances, and sometimes they judge the Lord based on my behavior. Sadly, I usually send the message that He can be disregarded during times of frustration, and that life revolves more around my immediate comfort than around His eternal purposes.

The Lord wants  me to serve Him by accepting difficulties as opportunities to reflect His nature and exhibit faith in Him. Yes, I'll fail sometimes, forgetting that He created me for His pleasure rather than Him existing for my benefit.  But I'm making philosophical progress that He will mature into actual behavior. Praise Him for that progress.

1 comment:

  1. "Philosophical progress that He will mature into behavior" I love that! Amen!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...