Monday, May 5, 2014

Profoundly Obvious

Scripture sometimes shows us the obvious in such profound ways. In my Bible time today, I ran across a psalm that opened with a plea for God to take vengeance on evildoers. I thought, "Apart from Christ, I'm an evildoer...like every other human being. This psalmist seems a bit self-righteous."

Perhaps so, but he also demonstrates remarkable insight into why we think we can violate God's law. Though he cites extreme examples in the passage below, I believe it also applies to sins that we consider to be excusable, as well as to ones that we no longer recognize as being wrong.

They pour out their arrogant words;
    all the evildoers boast.
They crush your people, O Lord,
    and afflict your heritage.
They kill the widow and the sojourner,
    and murder the fatherless;
and they say, “The Lord does not see;
    the God of Jacob does not perceive.” ~~Psalm 94:4-7 (ESV)

Essentially, we sin because we simply don't believe the Lord will judge us. That insight seems very obvious when we apply it to other people, but quite profound when we have the humility to apply it to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...