Thursday, May 15, 2014

In Defense Of Narrow-Mindedness

Assaults on Biblical doctrine by self-identified non-Christians certainly sadden  me, but I generally expect such people to reject Scripture's authority. How could a non-Christian believe when the Holy Spirit hasn't done a work of regeneration in that person? Non-Christians require my heart-felt prayers.

Increasingly, however, professing Christians subtly (and often unknowingly) malign God's Word by embracing false teaching and/or living in unrepentant sin. Today, I've been reading a variety of blog posts, each addressing a different example of so-called Christians cozying up to 21st Century culture. These articles grieve me, but they also inspire me to stand up for the truth.

I've been called narrow-minded because I refuse to consider ideas that differ from the Bible. That epithet apparently is meant to shame me. It promotes the presupposition than intellect must welcome a broad  swath of beliefs, perspectives and ideas with as little discrimination as possible. Unless, of course, one discriminates against "fundamentalist interpretations" of the Bible. In this post-modern culture, a tolerant person must take special care to avoid tolerating the view that Scripture offers the complete and authoritative Word of God.

When non-Christians object to the  "narrowness" of the Gospel, I shrug and pray that the Holy Spirit will open their eyes. But when those who claim to know the Lord sacrifice Scripture's integrity to the ungodly demands of worldly philosophies and practices, they betray the very Lord they so ardently profess to love.

13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. ~~Matthew 7:13-14 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...