Thursday, May 1, 2014

Correcting The Desires Of My Heart

At last, two rings encircled the third finger of my left hand. I praised God that He'd saved the greatest desire of my heart (marriage) until last. Along the way, He'd granted all my other heart-desires by blessing me with two beautiful nieces, three months living with other Christians in Wales and twelve years on staff at Love In Action. Certainly, the Lord had given me everything I'd ever wanted!

In the months following my wedding, I wondered what was left. Now that He'd graced me with marriage to the  man of my dreams, would He call me to heaven?

Eleven years later, I cringe with shame as I remember my obviously self-centered view of life. I still praise Jesus for His obvious goodness to me, but I regret my temporal focus, through which I grossly distorted the promise in Psalm 37:4 that delighting myself in the Lord would result in Him giving me the desires of my heart. Through His patient grace, His Holy Spirit helped me understand the proper context of that promise. Even the first nine verses make it clear that God promises to fulfill desires for righteousness.

Fret not yourself because of evildoers;
    be not envious of wrongdoers!
For they will soon fade like the grass
    and wither like the green herb.
Trust in the Lord, and do good;
    dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
Delight yourself in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord;
    trust in him, and he will act.
He will bring forth your righteousness as the light,
    and your justice as the noonday.
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him;
    fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way,
    over the man who carries out evil devices!
Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath!
    Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.
For the evildoers shall be cut off,
    but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land. ~~Psalm 37:1-9 (ESV)

God has much for me if, instead of seeking temporal blessings for my personal satisfaction, I'll long for His righteousness to rule. How glorious to know that Jesus will some day return to abolish sin and to establish His kingdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...