Saturday, May 3, 2014

Blessed Frustrations

I'm still, seven months after my birthday and attendant celebration of the occasion, vehemently resisting the fact that I'm 60. I went through a slightly similar, but more understandable (to me, anyway), struggle over turning 30, but I attributed my grief then to my singleness. This time around, I'm happily married to a man who adores me, yet the reality of my new Senior Citizen status disturbs me.

And the fact that growing older causes me such grief troubles  me even more than the aging does. Don't I realize that the dwindling of my time on earth merely brings me closer to that glorious day when I'll see Jesus face-to-Face? Why would I want to cling to the follies and frustrations of this life?

Yes, my next few years on earth will usher in increased frustrations, as happens to all human beings who advance in age. But those very frustrations, particularly the physical aches and pains of our  natural bodies wearing out, hold the marvelous potential of helping us long for heaven. How beautiful of the Lord to adorn old age with hardships that will make it easier to look forward to eternity with Him!

As much as I miss my youth, I praise the Lord for using the aging process to disengage me from the attractions of this world. I hope I'll adopt this attitude more fully when I celebrate my next birthday.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize that you are only 7 yrs younger than I am. I somehow thought you were much younger. (while mature and well adjusted in all areas, of course) :) ! I agree that this getting older is not all it's cracked up to be. And even tho' my father always said I was nuts, I think our generation had a harder time imagining that we would grow old when we were told so often that the world was only one small red button away from total ruin. So happy birthday and a half. I don't have to face another year added until August, so I am enjoying 67 while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...