Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Tides And Obedience

Women, in general, experience a drive to make everyone comfortable and happy. My mom probably leans on this principle when she says that war would be abolished if women ruled the world (an assertion that I highly doubt). As a woman, I find it emotionally uncomfortable when I take stands with the knowledge that I will ruffle feathers. My discomfort makes me wonder why the Lord has given me such a passion to write about doctrinal integrity and to take stands that many of my friends will neither understand nor like.

Yet my first responsibility is to the Lord, not to people. Not even to a local church. He has ultimate claims on my life, even when He calls me to go against the tide. To put it more accurately, He calls me to stand firm when the tide goes against His Word.

For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. ~~Galatians 1:10 (ESV)

Anyone who reads this blog regularly knows that I struggle to sustain a stand on controversial issues. I'll write a few bold posts, and then I'll want to smooth things by writing something a little more neutral. Although variety is important, I admit to hiding behind some of my lighter posts in order to appease people...to reconstruct my image so people will think of me in favorable terms. And, when my lighter posts arise from such selfish motives, I must acknowledge my unfaithfulness to the Lord.

Lately, I've been learning more about the Church Growth Movement, as well as seeing first-hand some of the ways this movement erodes biblical preaching and worship. For months (especially this past month), this topic has weighed heavily on my mind, but a prudent assessment of my circumstances directed me to hold back. In fact, it still appears necessary to use caution as I broach this topic. But make no  mistake: I will address it in coming posts, and it won't be comfortable. Please pray that the Lord will give me courage to go against the tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...