Friday, April 11, 2014

After Making Our Decision

Our decision to leave our church has become public. I had to let the missionaries the church supports know that I'd no longer be able to serve as their email contact person (we'd been using my personal email address for that purpose).

As yet, we haven't found a church in our area that teaches Scripture from a Reformed perspective. Of course, our disabilities and John's health challenges further  complicate matters, adding to the potential frustration. In all this, I scratch my head as I wonder how a state founded by Calvinists could have possibly strayed so far from Reformed theology. The Greater Boston area certainly has its share of curiosities--including its spiritual climate!

This morning, the Lord encouraged me through Psalm 69. Even though the trouble that motivated King David to compose this psalm differed from the situation that John and I face, his  feelings of being overwhelmed and helpless struck a chord with me. But so did his confidence in God's faithfulness! David trusted the Lord to provide for Him.

Near the end of the psalm, David wrote a splendid affirmation that the Lord would meet his needs, and I hope I can properly apply it as a promise concerning our search for a new church.

30 I will praise the name of God with a song;
    I will magnify him with thanksgiving.
31 This will please the Lord more than an ox
    or a bull with horns and hoofs.
32 When the humble see it they will be glad;
    you who seek God, let your hearts revive.
33 For the Lord hears the needy
    and does not despise his own people who are prisoners. ~~Psalm 69:30-33 (ESV)

Verses 32-33, in particular, offered me reassurance that the Lord hears my prayers for a Reformed church in, or near, our town. He understands our complete dependence on Him, and won't despise our desire to sit under expositional preaching. Although we presently don't have a clue how He intends to bring us into fellowship, we'll keep knocking on doors and trusting Him to provide for us.

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...