Thursday, February 6, 2014

Counteracting Worldly "Wisdom"

The first two verses of Psalm 1 captured my attention this morning, as I noticed their relationship in a way I never had.

Blessed is the man
    who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
    nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
 but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
    and on his law he meditates day and night. ~~Psalm 1:1-2 (ESV)

I'd never considered that flooding my mind with Scripture serves as the antidote to all the ungodly philosophies floating around American culture. But we most assuredly need an antidote.  On a daily basis, the world challenges basic Christian teachings such as the deity of Christ, salvation coming only through His shed blood, the depravity of man and the authority of the Bible. It daringly questions the values that the Bible teaches, or it manipulates Bible verses to accommodate its desires. Some of these challenges are blatant, but  most sneak into our minds subtly, barely recognizable as wicked counsel.

Clearly, Christians face the "counsel of the wicked" merely by sharing the planet with unbelievers.  Christians can't avoid contact with non-Christians. In fact, we need to be among them in order to share the Gospel with them. I often ask non-Christians to read my blog, praying that the Holy Spirit might use some of the Scriptures I share to open their hearts. I tell my PCAs about Jesus, and intercede for them daily. Verse 1 doesn't advocate complete isolation from non-Christians.

Instead, these two verses teach that we must reject the thinking of those who refuse to comply with the Lord's values. Political correctness must never rule our minds. In our inevitable (and necessary) interactions with the world, the Lord calls us to avoid submission to its "wisdom." He gives us His Word, expecting us to spend time studying it, considering its implications regarding how He commands us to live, so that we might make practical applications of it. In short, our devotion to Scripture counteracts worldly thinking.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful God we serve who has given us the antidote to the evil of this world, through His book, through His Son's blood payment for sin, and by His Holy Spirit to confirm His word to us.

    We certainly cannot do it in our own strength, "it is He who has saved us and not we ourselves" (Ps 100)

    I recently have been becoming more aware of the difference between fellowship and friendship. It is possible to have unsaved friends, but we cannot have fellowship with unbelievers. We do not speak the same language so how could we enjoy the greater intimacy that is involved in the communion of believers with those who do not believe? It is impossible, and those who try for that worldly fellowship will only grow in their likeness instead of them growing more to be more like us. If you place a bad apple in a bag full of good apples, the bad apple does not become good. It just doesn't work that way. Jesus makes us good. We cannot make others good, unless it is He doing it. We are only good because He has made it so. I used to think I had such power, to make others good if I just tried hard enough. It didn't work, and actually such thinking is akin to witchcraft because it deludes me into thinking I have powers that I do not have.

    Anyway, great thoughts as always. You always stimulate me to think on the richness of God's word.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...