Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A More Defined Void

As part of our Valentine's Day celebration this past weekend, John and I watched You've Got Mail with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. I met John online, and (except for three short visits) we conducted our four-year courtship using email, Instant Messages, chat rooms and telephone calls. Obviously, You've Got Mail brings back cherished  memories.

But I don't want to write about our courtship today. Instead, I want to ruminate on something Meg Ryan's character "said" in one of her  emails. After asking one of her philosophical questions, she wrote, "I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this out to some great cosmic  void...So goodnight, dear Void."

I found myself thinking that she would have been a wonderful blogger.

Then I tried to recall the feelings I experienced the first time I clicked the "Publish" button on Blogger. Who would read that post? I emailed the link to friends in hopes that some of them might look at it, but didn't really expect to find a larger audience.

Well, my audience is growing, and I really am sending thoughts out to the unknown. I wouldn't say that my readers are a "cosmic void," mind you, but many of you are people I'll never meet this side of heaven. So I send out my posts, not knowing who will read them or how the Holy Spirit might use them.

I'd love it if He used them as an element in bringing someone to salvation! If He uses my posts, despite their awkwardness and lack of polish, to move one soul closer to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, the hours I invest in maintaining this blog will be well worth my efforts. Or if He strengthens Christians through the Scriptures I share so that He helps them grow in  Him, I'll consider these posts to be successful.

Sending musings into the cosmic void of cyberspace might offer some degree of satisfaction. I don't begrudge such satisfaction to anyone who blogs for this reason; it's a big part of being a writer. Since I am a Christian first, and after that a writer, the mere act of writing isn't always enough for me. I want it to reach to heaven, resounding with praise for the Lord Who has no void.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...