Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Why I Shouldn't Impress Local News Anchors

Last night's State Of The Union address bugged me so much that I determined to blog about one of my greatest objections to it today. When the anchors of our local morning news show commented on how few Tweets he'd received about the address, my determination doubled. I'd compose an impassioned essay denouncing the President's wrong assumptions, providing links to web articles that refute his statements. Upon completing my post, I'd Tweet it to the news anchor, demonstrating that not all Greater Boston Area viewers are indifferent to Obama's speech.

During my time with the Lord this morning, my plans to refute the President changed. Oh, I still sharply disagree with the remark I'd intended to argue against (as well as by the majority of his views and policies). But this morning, the overdue task of making my 2014 Prayer List focused me away from the temporal concerns of American politics in favor of eternal matters.

As I listed people, including Mr. Obama, in need of the Holy Spirit to transform them with salvation, I realized that cleverly shredding his speech probably wouldn't be the most godly use of my afternoon. Furthermore, I'd typed out prayers asking the Lord to honor Himself, and help me honor Him, through this blog. Having typed out so many prayer requests that directed my attention to the matters of God's Kingdom, I lost my eagerness to quibble over Obama's misguided assertion.

Jesus said that the world would spiral downward before His return. Obama isn't the only world leader who is implementing unbiblical policies, nor will he be the last president to disengage America from the Christian principles that guided even the Founding Fathers who weren't Christians. Yet the Bible never tells us to rebuke secular leaders who promote ungodly ideologies. Rather, it commands us to humbly pray for them.

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. ~~1 Timothy 2:1-4 (ESV)

So, do I want to write a blog post to assure the local news anchor that I actively listened to last night's State Of The Union address, or do I want to please my Savior by praying that He might turn this president's heart toward Him? I think everyone knows my answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...