Saturday, January 11, 2014

Richer Than A Cannoli

A few days after my 60th birthday (which John and I had been celebrating for two weeks with cheesecake, quesadellas, birthday cake, pizzas and my beloved cannolis), my doctor took a routine blood test. A week later, she sent me a letter saying I tested too high for fat intake, which indicated possible issues with my gallbladder. She asked me to reduce the amount of fatty foods in my diet.

Grudgingly, I've complied, only allowing myself occasional treats in limited quantities.

This morning, I thought about  my dietary restrictions as I read the first seven verses of Ephesians 1, realizing the incredible richness packed into many of the phrases. Verses 3-7, in particular, brimmed with ideas that begged for slow,  careful digestion.


Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, (ESV)

Think about, for instance, the Father blessing us with every spiritual blessing. Not a smattering of blessings here and there, but every single spiritual blessing He has to  bestow! And notice, these aren't the temporal blessings that will fade as we tear pages from our calendars, but spiritual blessings that we will enjoy throughout eternity!

Paul continues by naming one astounding blessing: God chose us before He even created the world! He decided who He would bring to Himself! I could get several blog posts out of that point alone,  but reading further captures my attention as Paul writes that the Lord chose us to be 1) blameless and 2) holy...which means separated from the world to belong to Him. And,  as I'm still trying to ruminate on  being separated to the Lord, Paul adds that God adopts us as His children  for His purposes.

So by verse 7, I started chewing on the wonder of being redeemed through His blood, but realized I  needed  to stop and digest everything I'd just read. Even  now, I see things in these four  verses that I missed this morning, adding to this passage's already meaty richness. After going through this short group of verses, I feel well-fed! Who needs a cannoli when she can sink her teeth into Ephesians?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...