Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Completely Unoriginal, Praise God!

If I think I can write something truly original, I merely demonstrate an inflated ego. Naturally, I'd love to believe I have a unique contribution to make to humanity, and most writers probably harbor similar hopes of producing new insights that will "rock" the world. That's part of why we write. Sure, we claim we simply love the craft of placing word together in interesting patterns. In some respects, we indeed do. But secretly, each of us dreams of saying something entirely new.

Scripture flies in the face of such hubris:

What has been is what will be,
    and what has been done is what will be done,
    and there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there a thing of which it is said,
    “See, this is new”?
It has been already
    in the ages before us. ~~Ecclesiastes 1:9-10 (ESV)

Who am I to presume that I can press the right combination of keys on my computer to fabricate an idea that has never occurred to another person in the entirety of human history? Don't people who claim such revelation generally end up forming false doctrines? Although it could, I suppose, be interesting to concoct some sort of philosophy or theology that took on the appearance of novelty just to see how many people would actually fall for it, I really don't want that sort of notoriety.

Let me go down as someone who wrote out of a desire to reinforce and honor what God has already said in His Word. I bring no fresh perspective to it. In fact, shame on me if I dare to think that there could possibly be a fresh perspective on anything as timeless as God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...