Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Treasure Hymns Hold

Hymns. These days, churches tend toward more contemporary praise music, which indeed is more emotionally stirring. For many years, I preferred contemporary praise music, as befitting a product of the Jesus Movement (from San Francisco, to boot!) of the 1960s and 70s. Thankfully, through most of the 80s the church I attended slipped a couple hymns into each Sunday morning service, so I learned them. Certainly, I preferred the praise music, but the hymns weren't intolerable. I wouldn't admit (even to myself) how much I liked loved them.

In the past several years, however, I've come to appreciate the depth of theology that hymns encapsulate. While I still like modern praise songs, hymns (with some exceptions) focus my mind on Jesus and His gospel. The lyrics teach the great doctrines of Christianity, celebrating their wonders as they help us memorize great truths.

I would like my Sunday blog posts from this point forth to feature the great hymns, maintaining an attitude of worship begun at church. I pray these hymns will help us reflect on the Lord, His majesty and His gospel.

When I Survey The Wonderous Cross was one of the first hymns I memorized as a young Christian. It summarized my conversion experience. Hearing how Jesus died in my place, for my sin, made clear demands on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...