Monday, October 14, 2013

Life With Fewer Cannolis

Thursday, I received results from a blood test my doctor had done three days after my birthday. The birthday I'd so joyously celebrated for two weeks (including the day before my appointment) by indulging on birthday cake, pizza, cheesecake, leftover pizza, cannoli and another generous piece of pizza. During meals in between, I splurged on white chocolate. So the blood test showed an elevated enzyme in my liver, indicating potential gallbladder problems.

Happy birthday, Senior Citizen!

So now I'm taking my doctor's advice to seriously reduce fat from my diet. That means, among other modifications that break my heart, way fewer cannolis. I hear that collective gasp from my regular readers. (My mother-in-law also gasped in sympathy when we told her I'd need to drastically diminish my cannoli intake.)

In reflecting on the new restrictions to my diet, I flashed back to a comment a friend made just the day before my doctor's letter arrived. As is usually the case when we see this man, he lamented the dietary limitations his doctors have imposed on him, admitting without shame that he followed the advice very selectively. "What's the point of being healthy," he wanted to know, "if you can't have quality of life?" I nodded decisively in agreement.

Yet, my friend's comment showed a narrow understanding of what gives life quality. He believes life ends in death. Scripture, on the other hand, declares that human life is eternal, whether a person spends it in hell for rejecting Jesus or spends it in heaven as a result of believing that His blood paid the penalty for sin. For those of us in the second group, true quality of life revolves around the Lord and His interests.

16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. 17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, 18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. ~~2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (ESV)

I see my body succumbing to advancing age. The elevated enzyme in my liver is only one example that "the old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be." But the Lord blessed me with a doctor who recommends unpleasant lifestyle changes that, while decreasing my temporal "quality of life," will enable me to continue investing myself in eternal matters.

1 comment:

  1. I guess I can be a little selfish and say I hope you will be successful in resisting cannolis so that I can while still here in this fallen place, enjoy many more thoughtfully and prayerfully composed blog posts.

    <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...