Monday, October 7, 2013

Kicking The Bucket List

1 Corinthians 15, which I read during my personal devotions last week, excited me so greatly that I just can't keep it to myself. In this passage, Paul teaches that Christ's literal resurrection from the dead assures us of our own resurrection when He returns to earth. If Christ wasn't raised, he asserts (verses 17-19), we Christians believe in Him for nothing. We might as well live self-indulgent lives (verse 32a) because this present life is all we  have.

But, he argues, Christ has risen, bringing us the promise of eternal life. For Christians, that promise means an eternity of holiness with Him, with freedom from these wretched sin natures that currently pull at us. Yesterday, my pastor preached on what Christians can look forward to (The Change We Can All Look Forward To), and his sermon compliments 1 Corinthians 15 well. This wonderful change, with its liberation from sickness, pain, sorrow and sin, comes about because Christ is risen!


If, therefore, the Lord's resurrection promises eternal life, it implies that our brief sojourn in this life shouldn't be wasted on selfish pursuits.

31 I protest, brothers, by my pride in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day! 32 What do I gain if, humanly speaking, I fought with beasts at Ephesus? If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.” 33 Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.” 34 Wake up from your drunken stupor, as is right, and do not go on sinning. For some have no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame. ~~1 Corinthians 15:31-34 (ESV)

Christians have a responsibility to spend this present life telling the world about Him and living in ways which model His holiness. Sadly, many 21st Century Christians get caught up in looking for ways Christianity can benefit our present situations that we see little need for repentance and living for Him. In fact, we have "bucket lists," demonstrating how little we believe heaven will satisfy us. If we think in terms of eternity at all.

Our Lord Jesus Christ, at a distinct point in history, rose from  the dead in a physical, glorified body, and  He promises to raise us up in physical, glorified bodies. We therefore need not pursue earthly lusts, knowing that He offers us an eternity of holiness. And no "bucket list" can rival His promise.

1 comment:

  1. A few years ago I read The Diving Bell and the Butterfly written by the editor of Elle magazine after he suffered a brainstem aneurysm. He described his condition as being like he was inside of a diving bell because his mind was fully alert as it always was however the only thing he could move was his left eye. His secretary came to his bedside and realized he was able to understand her and he dictated what became that book, which he blinked to her via a code they worked out. I hope the Lord saved him, he never mentions that so I don't believe he was saved, however this post reminds me of the fact that we do not realize that we are trapped in these mortal death chambers, which he realized better than most because of his forced immobilization. If you ever have the chance, read that little 120 page book. I hear there is a movie that was made based on that book...never saw it myself,but the book is very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...