Monday, October 28, 2013

A Christian Celebration Of October 31st

October 31st is coming, with its celebration of devils and witches defiantly raised against All Saints' Day. For years, I hated the day. Even now, although I have sympathy for the little ones who enjoy dressing up and collecting candy, I hate the essence of Halloween. Thankfully, however, October 31st also marks a pivotal point in Christian history.
Internet image

On October 31st, 1517, a German  monk named Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the door of the Whittenburg Church, denouncing the unbiblical practice of selling indulgences. This key event signaled the official birth of the Protestant Reformation, which sought to restore the Church to Biblical Christianity. While Luther wasn't the only prominent figure to decry Rome's deviation's from Scripture (or even the first), his actions galvanized reformers.

Along with other great reformers, Luther pointed Christians back to Scripture's authority, rejecting the notion that the Pope's pronouncements held equal weight to God's Word. His cry of Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone) serves as one of the lynchpins of reformed theology.  Obviously, I'm deeply committed to this lynchpin, and praise the Lord for Luther's role in making the Bible accessible to all Christians.

October 31st, as far as I'm concerned, has nothing to do with ghosts, but everything to do with the Holy Spirit raising up faithful men like  Martin Luther to defend  His Word. So, I celebrate Reformation Day, thankful that the Lord used that day to  move His church back to purity. Join me in making this coming Thursday a day to rejoice in God's grace.

1 comment:

  1. I discovered this about a month ago (that October 31 was the day that Luther nailed his 95 theses to the Whittenburg Church door) but my memory needed jogging regarding this, therefore thank you for the memory jog! <3 Much better to say "Happy Reformation Day" than the alternative popular saying. I've sometimes said "Happy All Saints Day" however that falls on November 1.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post! I'd love feedback, as long as you attach a name. Disagreement is fine, as long as it is presented respectfully. Please keep comments confined to a maximum of four short paragraphs. Sorry for making to do the Word Verification, but I've been getting too much spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...